Top tips for landowners considering solar PV investment
2 APRIL 2014
Landowners who are considering investing in solar panels (PV) might be interested to know that small scale schemes are currently generating returns in the region of 10-15% with a 20 year income. As a means of diversification and a tax efficient investment, Nick Barber of Savills Renewables offers five key tips for landowners before signing up.
1. Always secure grid connection early to avoid disappointment and unnecessary expenditure;
2. Avoid wasting money by making sure the site is planning friendly from the start;
3. Ensure top tier equipment is used to maximise efficiency and avoid system downtime;
4. Check the installer has a good financial covenant and track record that underpins the warranty being offered;
5. Always consider tendering the sale of electricity to ensure maximum returns.
Probably the most important recommendation would be to work with partners who have a proven track record. “Success in securing consent at the planning stage is more likely if you choose developers and advisers who have experience in this area. Working with landowners and communities at a local level and gaining their support whilst taking into account the environmental and ecological impact of ground-mount projects is key. It ensures the projects have the best chance of receiving consent and ultimately generating income.” Nick Barber commented.